Saturday, May 9, 2009

Week 5 Matchup: Ladies Love Us vs. The Poppersteins

The Marauders of Time's best, non-robotic teams are up against each other this week--Jenni's Ladies Love us and my Poppersteins. I intended to set this blog up as a place where I can vent about the weather postponing my TIGERS vs. WHITE SOX games (that's about 90% of my lineup) and most importantly, pour out my hatred on arbitup. But those days have passed, at least for now, and I have been relatively calm as of late. Last week I nearly swept the commissioner's team, and this week, I am up against Jenni, who has similar managing techniques as me. Our teams are well-managed in that we love our players through thick and thin, and independently of our fantasy commitments (at least compared to other managers, from what I can figure). I think we serve as exemplary fantasy owners and I want to see our teams dominate this league.

Today, at the Rangers vs. White Sox game, a family sat behind us and at the start of the game, the little girl wouldn't stop asking "WHERE'S WAHN OORIBAY?" After her dad ignored that question, she yelled, "I WANNA SEE NICK SWISHER!" Good call, little girl. Ladies Love Us is definitely collectively handsome, but I think what really makes me love them is the addition of Nick Swisher. I can't find any photos, but Swisher was recently ejected from the game for arguing a called strike. I follow Swisher's Twitter, and later that night, I saw this update:


These are the little but awesome joys I look forward to in Celebrity Twitter. In addition, he has pinch pitched a scoreless inning, blessed our economy, and Lil Wayne thinks that the explanation for all of this is that Swisher is an alien (this is how Lil Wayne explains his own greatness, or "greatness," your pick). To me, Swisher is the behind-the-scenes-glue to Ladies Love Us, even if his batting average this week is .059 and he starts left bench next week or some other week in the future.

In other Matchup news, it seems like both Jenni's star players ("manager's pet[s]," perhaps) are not doing all that well, and the same goes for me. Miggy was doing good earlier this week but has succumbed to the powers of power-pitching. I was counting on Jorge (believe in yourself, Jorge!) and Carlos to do some work like they did last week, but so far, not too impressive. On Ladies Love Us, it looks like Grady and Robbie are in a bit of a slump. But then these non-manager's pets are coming up, saving the day! Casey Blake and Adam Dunn are working some magic for Jenni, and BRANDON PHILLIPS for me. Six of Phillips' RBIs are from one game. But now he's down with the flu. Imagine he had the swine flu? I forgot to think about pitchers more carefully, but we know how beautifully things went down today.

Anyway, there are still two big days left. I am currently taking many categories, but a lot of them are really close. Ideally, it'd be tied and we'd own the league together. But with Nar's Hit By Pitch, i.e. HANLEY, going nuts, hmmm. We'll find a way!

5 comments:

  1. I am stoked about Nick Swisher on Twitter.

    Also, it's kind of you to suggest a tie, Kei, but I don't think that LLU can stand the heat. Frantic scrambling to replace Manny now...we'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think it would be wrong to label Casey Blake as anything but a "manager's pet." No idea what he'd be doing on the team, otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. next week
    TSI ON
    i forecast extreme regression to the mean for many of your streaking hitters

    id hardly consider cliff lee and mark buehrle to be power pitchers

    i wanted to say something negative about uribe
    along the lines of every time i see him atbat
    the result is the end of an inning
    but hes actually hitting .289


    'I forgot to think about pitchers more carefully...'
    HARANGs not worthy for explicit reference?
    his simian voodoo will curse you

    ReplyDelete
  4. however
    LORD MIGGY will still unquestionably beast next week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord Miggy is good. There should be a post about what we mentally nickname our players. So far, I have "GOD DAMN GRADY" (Sizemore), "OH, NOT YOU AGAIN...OK, HA HA IT'S COOL" (Swisher), and "Captain of Our Hearts Forever" (Jeter).

    ReplyDelete