Saturday, May 9, 2009

5/9 Afternoon Commentary

DODGERS v. GIANTS

Here is the Dodgers radio announcer (not Vin Scully) during the second inning:

"Casey Blake...he's never going to make an All-Star team unless he does something really...well, looking at his baseball card, he's never going to do that. But what he is is a good cog in a good team."

Then he talked about how Casey Blake has ridden a lot of buses in his life.

Matt Kemp's batting fourth...Joe gets his wish!! Someone should pick up Juan Pierre. He has a badass mugshot and he just hit a 2RBI triple.

Pablo's on the bench...I'm imagining him eating a bag of those new Giant Cheetos.

BOSTON v. TAMPA

Why does it seem like Tampa ALWAYS gets the first run on Boston? Why does everyone on that team steals bases? No offense to any Rays owners, but I HATE TAMPA. Like, crazy hate.

ATL v. PHI

SP Joe Blanton is super ugly. Javy Vasquez needs to throw more strikes.

TOR v. OAK

I always see Kurt Suzuki's name and think it's Ichiro.

5 comments:

  1. giant cheetos?
    please elaborate

    i like the idea of baseball announcers having a stack of cards to refer to for stats during games

    im pleased with joe mauer
    3 home runs already
    his first home run in 2008 came in june

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the giant Cheetos real? I saw a video of someone eating one over an expensive keyboard.

    I like that Casey Blake is being recognized for not being a superstar. He is a total underdog, and I appreciate that he trimmed his beard.

    I am really turned off by Tampa Bay's generic font--it's like Times New Roman size font 36. Lame. But I am impressed by Carl Crawford and Evan Longorium, and no need to say, I love Carlos. I like to say his full name out loud.

    And finally, I hate Juan Pierre because he was on the Cubs, and he looked cocky. I understand that's an unfounded judgment, but so are 99% of my judgments in baseball, and there's no turning back. And Jay-Z once referenced him, so Pierre goes into my blackbook for life. But maybe his being on the Dodgers will raise my level of interest in Pierre from disgust to indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually seen Giant Cheetos in real life, but this article ran in the Time Sunday magazine:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/magazine/10wwln-consumed-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

    So I am assuming it's real. Here's a food blog I just googled as additional support:

    http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/giant-cheetos-regular-puff-swirl-snack-review.html

    I bet Pablo Sandoval would eat those and I bet that Nick Swisher LOVES them.

    On Friday night, I ate a bag of Crazy Core skittles, which I can also see Nick Swisher being really into. He probably eats a ton of junk food in the club house while A-Rod sips sparkling mineral water from a miniature glass bottle with a napkin wrapped around its base to protect his hand from getting wet. Jeter can probably only eat foods that are currently being endorsed by other members of his sports celebrity cabal* (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods), and Mark Teixera definitely only eats really boring sandwiches with no condiments or onions.

    *Now, I am thinking about that movie, "The Skull," which starred Paul Walker back when we were in college.

    This comment has no useful information in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Times Sunday magazine, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really hung up on these Giant Cheetos. I hope they come around here, though since I tend to favor over-seasoned chips the decrease in surface area per mass is not optimal. I heard in NY you can almost never find Flamin' Hot cheetos. It makes my sick that Frito Lay is so region-discriminatory. They also have amazing flavors they only allow citizens of other lands to enjoy:
    marcas karate

    Come on! I should start scouring the Supermercados.

    ReplyDelete