Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Photos of the Day: 5/27/09

Today's theme is, "I can't even know what to say."*

This does not look right. Jimmy Rollins looks like he's missing a leg here.

I like it when animals are incorporated into baseball, especially when there's a showdown between humans and non-human animals. What are the eagle and A-Rod thinking?

What could have been said to provoke Erik Bedard's facial expression?

Ichiro is caught stealing a base. There should be a name for this kind of tag out. OWT? CROTCHOUT? COCKSHOT PART THREE**?

So we all know about Carlos Zambrano going absolutely berserk today for a call at home plate. I guess I like this picture because it looks like God (invisible) is intervening by picking him up from the back of his jersey to try to force him to calm down.

God failed. I can't believe that ball he threw went all the way to the bleachers? Was that for real? This is the kind of tantrum a very young child may or may not throw, depending on the parents. The fact that this facial expression is on an adult is out of control***!

*This is a Mariah-Carey-ism, not me being an ESL speaker.
**This is a Lincon Park High School c/o 2002 reference, the video for which I cannot find right now; sorry to those who haven't seen it.
***To keep up with the Mariah-Carey-ism theme†, the proper denotation for "out of control" is "OOC." See track 11 on her most recent album, E=MC²,
for more information.
†If you don't like the Mariah Carey and baseball combo, I understand. However, it's not an entirely random connection, as she did date Derek Jeter, with whom she reportedly bonded over being biracial. I'll try to minimize the Mimi allusions, but this is just how my brain works.

3 comments:

  1. the zambrano tantrum is some of the funniest shit ive seen in baseball in a long time. i mean he threw the umpire out of the game. frankly it was a pretty close call, but these tantrums tend to result in better play by the cubs, so i dont mind it at all. also my friend suraj told me tonight that back in '03 some cubs player intentionally hit the polish sausage in miller park and was subsequently suspended. i imagine that would be more hilarious to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also heard about the polish sausage incident in Miller Park but those dudes have some dangerous costumes on if they get all tripped up. I say it was NEAL COTTS. OK wait it was Randall Simon. Actually, the notes there are pretty funny.

    And yes, Zambrano throwing the umpire out of the game was a nice touch to the whole show. I also like how the Gatorade machine continued to function after the debacle. I love Carlos Zambrano! I also like Suraj, he should come out to our baseball outings more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeter talks about his relationship with Mariah Carey in his book, but of course, fails to say anything too interesting.

    ReplyDelete