Thursday, April 8, 2010

Profile Pictures

I finally got around to looking at baseball box scores a few hours ago, and something I saw struck my attention.

These two guys were the 'top batters' for their respective teams.

Which reminded me of this:

Last year after Pudge left the Yankees to sign with the Astros, this became his profile picture sometime in the first month or two of the year. It was the first time I had seen the slightly zoomed out camera angle that I think makes the players look malnourished. Actually I can't think of any player picture with that view since Pudge, until this year's new photos came out. So I looked at the box scores of every game played yesterday and looked for new pictures, and here's what I got:

Johnny Damon


Vladimir Guerrero


Miguel Tejada


Adrian Beltre


Rick Ankiel


Milton Bradley


Juan Pierre


Victor Martinez


Marlon Byrd


Jake Peavy


Marco Scutaro


Chone Figgins


Hideki Matsui


Jason Bay


Rich Harden


Adam Laroche


Alex Rios


Matt Holliday


Curtis Granderson


Nate Mclouth


Jeff Francouer


Melky Cabrera


At first I thought the zoomed out view made everyone look younger, but it seems to be more when they don't fill the frame vertically.
One thing I'm wondering is why it seems like everyone's jerseys are hanging a little to the left as evidenced by the amount of undershirt you can see.
Another odd thing-no new pictures for any pitchers.
Part of me prefers the old-frame filling photos, but those photos of the Mets and Melky Cabrera I would keep in my wallet if I were related to them. That's some Van Gogh School Photographers poses right there.

2 comments:

  1. actually after seeing this post not in the way-too-small blogger editing window
    it may not be a van gogh pose for melky
    but rather just him embracing his dominican birthright
    of exquisitely crafted facial hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post, Joe. Milton Bradley's new mugshot looks like they just photoshopped a Seattle hat on his old one. His eyes are weird!

    ReplyDelete