Sunday, March 14, 2010

DRAFT DAY

He looks so happy and so young in the face!

On Saturday night, I was planning out my "IDEAL TEAM: THE POPPERSTEINS," but I was also preparing for a backup plan, known as "NON-IDEAL TEAM: THE LITTLE OMARS." I was trying to prepare myself for the worst: last pick, no Miguel Cabrera. Thirty minutes before the draft, I found out I was--oh, indeed--LAST PICK. I panicked, thinking that there was no way I'd get the LORD MIGGY, whose overall rank by Yahoo was 11. I was prepared to go with plan B and select players to whom I had no particular attachments but also knew were good people to have, so that I could terrorize the entire league with them. I was envisioning being the MoT version of Omar Little from "The Wire."

But by the grace of fantasy baseball gods, I ended up with the LORD MIGGY! First of all, Ryan Howard was totally unloved and neglected in the first round. And then there was magic. I must personally thank both Slippery Logicians and Waste Wildenstein. I owe these managers a cookie or two. Slippery Logicians made sure to secure MIKE LOWELL, for familial reasons, and Waste Wildenstein locked in ace pitchery in the form of TIM LINCECUM. As our favorite Steak 'N Shake waiter says, "Gooood choiiiice, gooood choiiiice..." With these moves, I was able to select Miggy. I had to pick again immediately after because of the snaking order, so I was able to get my ideal second pick, KING FELIX HERNANDEZ. The rest of my team is a strange mashup of Tigers, Rockies, and Marlins players, with an estranged person here and there.

The draft took three hours to complete and I am exhausted. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this thing called "reality," but I'll be back soon with a collage of my team.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kei. I'm glad you got Miguel Cabrera. It wouldn't have been right, otherwise. Having felt disconnected to Grady Sizemore since his unfortunate internet accident, I really had no idea who I would take in the first round. I guess I wanted Joe Mauer, but like real Joe (below), I wasn't entirely convinced he warranted a first round pick. And then someone else took him, anyway. Whatever.

    Jeter was the only MUST HAVE for me this year, and I was fairly confident that I could get him in the 3rd round. I'm pleased with the way my team turned out. It's almost 50% players I had last year, somehow. Even though I forgot I'd drafted him five minutes after the fact, Paul is super stoked on Mark Reynolds. We think he looks like Luke Skywalker. I wonder if he'll break his strikeout record again this year....

    I'm also glad that I was able to get Ken Griffey Jr. at the end of the draft. He's good karma. I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been available, as some sort of symbolic gesture seemed necessary. Drafted Nomar out of retirement? Joe Torre as my "fantasy coach?" PEYTON, ELI AND ARCHIE MANNING as "fantasy sports family?" It could have been wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>>to mh
    just saw the fragment of your comment left on the sidebar
    unfortunately the post you left it on was drunkenly deleted
    with reason at a celebratory event
    so i have no idea what follows

    ..Have you soured on the fantasy sports since…”

    havent soured on the fantasy sports
    just needed a break
    however if darren mcfadden fails again in 2010 i may be done for good
    also i predict GROSSMAN as redskins starter by week 9

    apologies to everyone for leaving football comments in baseball blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. comment on draft

    i cannot believe liriano lasted so long
    i was present with 6(?) of the managers
    and i think he wouldve been undrafted longer but managers present were sick of me extolling his virtues

    ReplyDelete